Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Making your own baby food: it's easier than you think!

After eating all natural and all organic foods while pregnant and nursing, I could not feed my baby just anything. I have pledged to give him the best start, by feeding him healthy all natural food. He can eat whatever he wants, once he turns 18. Unfortunately, organic baby food can be expensive. It is almost double the price of regular jarred baby food. So I needed to search for an alternative. I'd heard of making your own baby food, but figured that would be difficult and time consuming. I was wrong. Making your own baby food is not only easy, but can also be done quickly.
In the beginning, I gave baby jarred food until we were sure he didn't have an allergy to single ingredients. Once he had a list of fruits and veggies that were ok, I began to make his food. I simply purchased extra veggies that we were eating for dinner. I served everyone their portions and then pureed the extras in the blender. Once I reached the desired consistency, I would pour the puree into ice cube trays and freeze. I currently have a whole variety of cubes waiting in the freezer to be served. Next, I'll begin mixing multiple ingredients, to create "meal" cubes that contain both fruits and veggies or veggies and meats, etc.
To make pureed baby food all you need is a blender and ice cube trays. I purchased some of the new silicone trays and found they worked great, since you could easily pop the food cubes out. I keep my cubes in labeled ziploc baggies, right in our freezer. I tried to make my own cereal and found it was too much trouble. So I do purchase his cereal. However, I am saving money by making my own fruits and veggies. I also know exactly what goes into baby's food, when I make it, myself. This way I can be sure baby gets a variety of fruits and veggies each day in addition to whole grain cereals.
If you want to try making your own food, check out the following site for recipes and suggestions :0 Good Luck!
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

No comments: